There are two types of people in this world: those whose hair looks Gisele-level perfect during summer, and those whose hair, well, doesn’t so much. Think humidity-induced frizz, lank roots, frazzled ends. More Monica Geller in Barbados than Rachel Green. But it doesn’t have to be this way – with the right products and styling tips, you can have an enviable mane all holiday season.
Prep makes perfect
First things first, get your holiday hair products right. You’re going to want to make sure your hair is in great condition before you expose it to sun, sea and chlorine. If your hair is coloured, give it a dose of Olaplex before you jet off – it’s the gold standard hair treatment for keeping dyed hair in good nick. It’s a deep treatment that reconnects broken bonds in the hair shaft caused by colour, bleach and heat styling, leaving it with less visible damage while futureproofing it against breakage. If your hair just needs a dose of hydration, however, Philip Kingsley’s Elasticizer is iconic – for good reason. Apply all over damp hair before washing and pop a shower cap on to let it work its magic for at least 20 minutes – overnight works even better. Just shampoo and condition as usual in the morning and say hello to bouncy, happy hair.
Shampoo and Condition
Make sure you shampoo and condition with moisturising, strengthening formulas (we love Joico’s K-Pak Reconstruct duo) and finish with a spritz of Unico’s 20 in 1 hair treatment spray. As the name suggests, this wonder product does it all. Repairs and prevents damage, nourishes, eliminates frizz, adds shine, protects against heat and colour fade, aids styling… We could go on. It does all this while being super lightweight and deliciously scented. Like we said. Wonder product.
Protect against the Sun’s UV rays
Remember, you’re going to want to defend against damage while you’re away, too, so get a summer-ready haircare kit ready to pack. Trichologist extraordinaire Philip Kingsley has you covered – if you’re heading to the pool, slick his UV, chlorine and salt-resisting Swim Cap cream through damp hair and you’re protected against the elements. Plus, it gives you that cool, wet-look hair that, let’s face it, only really looks right if you’re actually near water. If slicked isn’t your thing, his Sun Shield spray gives the same protection while leaving you with flowing tresses. When it’s time to wash your hair, choose a shampoo that knows how to tackle holiday hair problems: L’Oréal Professionnel’s Solar Sublime shampoo gently removes traces of chlorine and salt while depositing a lightweight UV filter, so your hair stays soft, flowing and protected all summer long. Finish up with a deep treatment and your hair has zero chance of looking like straw by the end of your holiday. #Winning.
There’s more to holiday hair than putting a hat on and forgetting about it (though we’re totally on-board with a poolside turban look). It’s time to get creative. If you’ve treated your hair right in the run up to your holiday – that includes getting a trim at the salon – it’s good to go. Who wants some holiday hairstyle ideas? *girl with hand-up emoji*
The pony/plait hybrid
If sleek, practical hair you can forget about while you have fun is your vibe, the ponytail/plait hybrid is your friend. Here’s how to get the look:
- First, use a smoothing bristle brush (Denman’s is a classic) to sweep your hair into a ponytail – go high for glamour, low for timeless chic.
- Fasten securely with an invisible band close to the head.
- Next, tie your hair in a classic plait – you may want to prep your hair with some styling spray at this point to give it some grip. Fasten at the bottom with an invisible hair tie.
- Finish with some hair spray to stop the frizz. Done!
An eternal summer classic for a reason: of all the holiday hairstyles, it’s the one that really says “you do you” to your mane. Carefree, relaxed and feminine, it’s the stuff Insta-holiday snaps are made of. Here’s how to get the look:
- Spray damp hair with salt spray to give it some guts (drier hair types may prefer a conditioning styling spray).
- If your hair has a natural wave or curl, section and pin your hair into four loose buns or plaits and leave to dry naturally. Otherwise, give nature a nudge in the right direction by using tongs on dry hair. Vary the size of the hair sections you curl for a natural finish.
- Shake out the curls for beachy, natural waves. No filter needed.
Do the twist
Like a bun, but more chill. This is a super simple way to get you hair out of the way while looking like you’ve put way more effort in than you actually have. Here’s how:
- Grab your hair as if pulling it into a low ponytail; it’s fine to leave strands falling out at the front.
- Twist the hair until it curls back on itself.
- Fasten it with grips until it stays put. Wayward tendrils? Keep pinning until you get the look you want.
- Have some fun with the latest trend for hair accessories: add a jewelled clip at the temple or wrap the messy twist with a ribbon or silk scarf for that ‘I’m a fashion blogger’ vibe.
The half up, half down
Exude a certain Scandi cool with the new way to wear the half up, half down style:
- Gather the top of your hair into a small bun and fasten.
- Brush through the rest of your hair and straighten, curl or leave au naturale.
- You’re done, go and enjoy the sunshine!
There you have it: how to get your best holiday hair, ever. Gisele who? Discover all of our hair products in our store and get fast and free delivery on all orders.