Whether you should wash your hair every day is a much discussed topic where there are a great deal of differing opinions. For some people, they simply cannot imagine not washing their hair on a daily basis whilst other people swear that by ditching the shampoo they have shinier, healthier and better looking hair.
The fact is, there is no definitive answer. It all really comes down to personal preference and finding a hair washing schedule that suits you. What you really need to do is to take a look at your hair type and then go from there. For example, for most hair types there is nothing at all wrong with washing every day but healthy hair can often go several days without being washed and can still look healthy and shiny.
You should shampoo daily if…
- You have very fine hair – this is unable to retain much healthy oil and therefore have a healthy and shiny look for very long
- You exercise a lot – you really don’t want to have sweat sitting in your hair for days do you?
- You have an oily scalp – If you have an oily scalp, then you need to wash daily too.
- You simply can’t bear not too!
You can shampoo less often if…
- You have thick hair – Thick hair tends to retain more healthy oils which help to keep it looking shiny and healthy even after several days of not being washed.
- You have curly hair – It’s true, if you have curly hair, you generally can go longer without washing your hair than those people who have straight hair.
- You have dry hair – People with dry hair can often go longer without washing their hair.
How much should the average person wash their hair?
The consensus of opinion is that the average person should wash their hair every other day or every 2-3 days. Of course, if you have a scalp that is visibly oily, and itchy or flaking scalp than you may need to increase the frequency of your shampooing. It’s just a case of finding what works for you.
What about dry shampoos?
Dry shampoo is absolutely fine to use and it really does work well and it absorbs excess oil from the hair helping it to retain a shininess and healthy looking state. To re-energize your hair without washing it, spray dry shampoo towards the roots of your hair as this is where the oil and dirt tend to accumulate. Spray also along the hairline, the nape of the neck too as well as a general spray across the rest of your hair. This will enable your hair to look good for another day or so without having to go through the full traditional hair washing process. Dry shampoo, however, isn’t a permanent solution and you should wash your hair with a good quality shampoo to give your hair a good thorough clean that will help to rejuvenate and reinvigorate it and leave it looking fabulous.