If it’s blowing a gale outside, chances are you don’t want to spend thirty minutes drying and straightening your hair only for it to be ruined by the wind. You need a hairstyle that can brave the elements.
To help inspire you, here are three of our favourite winter-proof styles:
The messy bun
This look should be your go-to style in winter. Fixing your hair in a messy bun is quick and simple, plus no amount of wind will ruin the look.
- First, add product to your hair to add grip and texture. We recommend TIGI’s Catwalk Root Boost Spray.
- Next, tie your hair in a high ponytail, but keep it quite loose. There’s no need to brush your hair first, this style is meant to look relaxed.
- Backcomb the ends of your hair to add body.
- Loop your hair over your hand to tie a “hair knot” and pin. Alternatively, divide your hair into two sections and wrap in opposite directions and pin. If your hair is too shirt, simply twist the hair in any shape you desire and fix with a hairband or bobby pins. Leave some ends loose, frayed around your bun. Pull rogue strands from the front to soften your face.
- Using your fingers, tease the bun as you require to create the “messy” effect.
- Finally, finish the look with a mist of hairspray. We recommend L’oreal Professional Tecni Art “Fix Design” hairspray. It’s specially formulated to fix hair in place with long-lasting hold.
Braided faux-hawk ponytail
As children, most of us practiced braiding and French plaiting in the playground. Put those skills to use this winter. Braided hair is structurally sound, meaning it’ll hold its own on even the windiest of days.
- Add product to your hair to create texture and volume. We recommend L’oreal Professional Tecni Art Crepage de Chignon hairspray, which is designed to give hair a texturised, matte finish.
- Next, gently backcomb the roots at the top and on the crown of your head.
- Now it’s time to French-braid your hair. Start at your forehead and work backwards. Only braid the topmost section of your hair.
- Grab the braid along with the rest of your hair and tie everything up together, in a high ponytail.
- Grab the loose ponytail and loop once through the tie, to create a “half bun” effect. Leave the ends messy, but fan them out a little.
- Gently tease the braid and the “half bun” as you require.
- Finish with a mist of hairspray.
This classic, chic look is perfect for any occasion. In a rush? No problem, this hairstyle takes minutes to sort.
- Loosely tie your hair in a low ponytail, near the nape of your neck.
- Divide the hair above the tie, creating a gap.
- Next, tuck the ponytail into the gap, pulling it all the way through, to create a “topsy tail”. You’ll need to repeat this about three times.
- Tuck the remaining length of your ponytail into the middle section and fasten with bobby pins.
- Finally, tease the hair gently to widen the bun and finish with hairspray.