Pop Quiz: You’re at the salon for a manicure when the nail technician asks, “Would you like a polish or a gel?” What do you say? As more and more DIY nail gels hit the high street to do battle with classic polishes, we give a little helping hand to those who have always been baffled by the differences between these two options.
Dating back to 3000BC when it was made of beeswax and vegetable dyes, a simple nail polish is the classic manicure choice. Thankfully the technology has updated somewhat in modern times and the range of colours, textures and finishes seems never-ending.
- Making the most of all those colours means a lot of taking off your polish so you can reapply another one. Luckily this is super easy with nail polish, which comes off quickly with standard nail polish removers.
- Polishes are super easy to use and can be applied in the comfort of your own home.
- Nail polishes can be long lasting. With lots of brands bringing out newer and higher quality polishes like CND Vinylux, normal nail polishes don’t always have to mean a less long-lasting manicure.
- Plus, they’re cheap!
- Despite all that, it’s still undeniable that a normal polish won’t last as long as an acrylic or a gel.
An innovation in nail art, gels are created to be long-wearing and chip-resistant. But is that price tag worth it?
- Yes, it is! Sorry normal nail polishes, but gel polishes pip lacquers to the post when it comes to longevity. Designed to last for up to two weeks, a gel polish should also stay chip and scratch-free.
- Gel polishes give a smoother, more professional finish.
- Gels are no longer restricted to salon use. You can now buy them to use at home.
- Unlike nail polishes, gels require much more work to safely remove them without damaging your nails. Not so good if you like to change up your colour all the time!
- Because they last longer and tend to look more polished, gels can also be a bit pricier.
So which team are you on? Team Polish or Team Gel? Personally we think it depends on the occasion: polishes for when we want to change our colour every day and gels for big occasions or for that perfect long-lasting holiday mani. Can we have both, please?